How do you prepare to run a marathon? Here are 5 ways to prepare for a new marathon you can follow.
Marathon running is a type of long-distance running that requires a lot of physical strength. In running to finish the distance as determined by the race and must rely on speed to complete the classifications in the shortest possible time all runners rely on running techniques and must be in very strong physical condition.
Of course, to finish the marathon distance of a full marathon ( full marathon ) or even a half marathon ( half marathon) will require a lot of strength and physical strength. For novice runners, it can be challenging. To prepare the body for a marathon.
In this article, NBA Sportmanagement will recommend tricks for running a marathon. How do you prepare? Ready to reveal 5 ways to prepare for a marathon The new edition can follow. Are there any techniques that you should study and practice? Let’s follow.
What is a marathon?
A marathon is a long-distance running race with an official distance of 42.195 kilometers (26 miles), and is also known as a full marathon. Marathons are usually run on flat roads. To find only one winner who can run to the finish line as fast as possible first
This marathon race It is one of the modern international Olympic Games. It was popular with athletes or those who like to run around the world. Every year several marathons are held. Both professional marathons are for marathoners only. and amateur marathons This allows the general public to compete and there are so many distances to choose from to compete you don’t always have to run a full marathon.
How many distances do you run in a marathon?
This marathon race, if we talk about the international standards that are considered standard, you will compete at a distance of 42.195 kilometers, but in the current marathon race, there will be distance options for competitors to choose from as follows:
- Fun Run – This is a marathon with a minimum distance of 3-5 km, and most of us will see it at charity events. Focus on colors or activities that make runners feel fun, not stressful, such as various individual-appropriate fantasy running events or family activities.
- Mini Marathon – This is a marathon with a distance of 5-10 km, which is suitable for those who compete in a marathon for the first time. There is a running distance that is neither too close nor too far. Running time is about 30 minutes to an hour (depending on each competitor’s physical condition) and is a popular program among novice runners.
- Half Marathon – This is a marathon of 21.1 kilometers or half of the actual full marathon distance. It is suitable for runners who have already run a mini-marathon or who are preparing to run a full marathon. Depends on good preparation It’s a marathon distance that’s like a training ground before going for a real marathon.
- Full Marathon – is a marathon with an international record distance of 42.195 km which is a long distance that requires a lot of physical strength, mental strength, training and running technique. Runners who want to compete in a full marathon must be well prepared. Get in shape at least 3-5 months before the actual race. And there should be a pre-competition medical as well. It’s a marathon program where we’ll start to see more professional athletes compete.
- Ultra Marathon – is the marathon with the longest distance from 43-100 km (the distance depends on the specific race program) Most of the runners are those who have completed the full marathon and who want to challenge their abilities. Longer distance It is recommended, however, that running an Ultra Marathon requires very good preparation and is not suitable for beginners.
Currently running a marathon How many styles are there to choose from?
Nowadays, marathons, regardless of distance. The competition format has been modified to be more flexible and meet the needs of people’s lives. There are two main types of marathons currently available:
regular marathon (event)
It is a marathon run as a regular event. that all runners must come to the event one day before to receive a Bib badge (a sign showing the race number), a race jersey and the next day they must gather at the starting point depending on the place of the event and release at the same time running for the specified distance When you cross the finish line, you will receive Medals or other awards.
Run a virtual marathon
It is a new kind of marathon. Which uses online technology to help make competitive runners able to run a marathon from anywhere, anytime, just track their running results (distance and time) via Smartwatch or different apps and send the running results to the dedicated platform. The advantage is that competitors do not need to complete the distance in one run. But it can gradually lead to running to complete the distance on time and the participants will get a racing jersey and prizes like going to a real marathon. It is another marathon running option that is gaining massive popularity. At the moment, there are already platform providers
Here are 5 ways to prepare for a new marathon you can follow.
No matter what distance you are competing in a marathon. Preparation is very important because running a marathon is a long distance that requires both physical and mental strength. Prepare your body first. This will cause the specified distance to not finish. Today we would like to introduce 5 ways to prepare for a new marathon as follows:
1. Practice running frequently to get your body used to it.
The heart of preparing for a marathon is No matter how far you’re racing the inevitable first thing is a matter of training, you’ll need to start practicing running so your body can get used to running long distances and your core strong. Not easy to tire
We recommend starting your marathon training for 8-20 weeks (depending on the distance you’re competing at) 3-5 days per week. 5km or more/day primarily when you feel your body start to respond better to running. Keep increasing the distance 1 to 2 km/day until you reach your desired marathon distance. As for the days when your body feels tired or injured. Then recover from the body and do not overdo it as it can cause injury.
But during a pandemic situation or road and sidewalk conditions that may not be conducive to long-distance running. We recommend that you can train for a marathon at home, only with a treadmill that has endurance training functions and training modes .
2. Control your diet, eat nutritious foods.
Eating a healthy diet is actually good for your body. But for this marathon there will be differences with diets for other purposes. While training, you will need to eat protein foods such as lean meat, eggs, milk, fish, etc. to help build strong muscles and carbohydrates to help increase energy in your workout. Including good fats such as nuts, almonds, avocados, olive oil, and others to help stimulate metabolism.
What are the nutritional tricks to prepare for a marathon? Increase your food intake and nutrients over the course of a week or two close to race day.
In the run-up to the marathon, it is recommended to eat a meal rich in carbohydrates such as bananas, milk, etc. two hours before the race, without overeating. Because it can cause colic while running and while running (for a half marathon, full marathon or ultramarathon distances) runners should always carry gels or electrolytes every 30 minutes to boost energy while running. Add carbs to the body quickly.
3. Get enough rest
Rest is essential to running a marathon. Because the rest period is when our body recovers the muscles. Repairing muscles worn out from training. Therefore, in pre-marathon preparation you should be able to rest at least 6-8 hours/day throughout the training session.
He should rest two days before race day as much as possible. Rest, do not stress or be pressured by the competition. Focus on yourself. Avoid hard training before race day.
4. Physical examination before running the marathon
Before Running a Marathon Runners should always undergo a thorough physical examination with the hospital before running, especially longer marathons (after a half marathon or higher). To check the working systems of different parts of the body, such as the heart, brain, bones, and muscles, and whether there are any problems or injuries.
This is for the safety of the runners themselves. Because do not forget that the marathon is a race that requires high physical strength. If your body is not completely unfit, it may cause injury or damage to your body.
5. Study techniques and strategies while running.
Marathon Although it looks like a race based solely on running, it is actually full of running techniques and strategies. From the issue of drinking water before running or during running, there should be a suitable time to eat. One to two hours before running, you should drink about 400-600 ml of water, and during every 15-25 minutes of running, you should drink you should You drink about 150-200 milliliters
Choosing running shoes and clothes for running Strategies What speed to use at the start At what kilometers should I start adjusting my pace or other running strategies for marathons, etc.